So some of our neighbors happened to go out of town this last week, and they asked me to keep an eye on a couple of things at their house. While I was over there yesterday morning I happened to walk by their chicken coop and noticed that there was one rooster standing outside of it. I couldn't figure out how he had "flown the coop," no pun intended, since it has chicken wire over the top of it too, and after spending quite a bit of time decided that maybe he was just out for reasons unknown to me. So I turned and walked away.
As I rounded the corner he started in with the Cockle- Doodle-Dooing, as loud as he could. So I turned around and went back, and he stopped. So I finally figured out how to open the coop, but now I had to catch the rooster. So I chased him around the chicken yard a couple of times ( I might also add that I am dripping wet and wearing my swimsuit and flapping robe since I just finished my morning swim) before I decided that this was not going to work. I couldn't leave the door open and chase him in because I was afraid that all the others would get out too.
So after my third circuit around the coop I noticed several fruit rinds laying around on the ground and it occurred to me that perhaps they feed him outside. So I found a little bowl to fill with water, and got a handful of grain out of the coop, and called it good.
This time when I rounded the corner, the rooster was happily munching his feed and didn't make a peep. Just call me the Chicken Whisperer.



0 comments:
Post a Comment