Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Preparations

As the fire grew nearer to our homes, we started to prepare for the worst.  Rodger and I worked in the backyard cleaning up the woodpile and taking care of the needles from our many pine trees.  We packed up our irreplaceables, things like pictures, scrapbooks, and important documents.  I wanted to take my Bosch, but Rodger wouldn't let me.


I told the boys that they could share 1 small suitcase for the things that were most important from the house.  I was proud of them when they filled it with their sports and school awards.  Alec wanted his Arrow of Light Plaque and 4-H belt buckle as well. 

Grandpa prepared in a different way.  He has had his well running all week, watering the surrounding pasture and lawns.  He also filled all the stock tanks and even dragged two up on the front yard.  They even have buckets already in them.  He has ladders around the house in case they need to get up on the roof in a hurry.  Next the ropes appeared all over the place quickly followed by hoses and nozzles.  Then he pulled both trailers out of the barn and removed all the saddles and other equipment from the tack room.  Finally he tuned up the generator in case the power was shut off.  Oh, he also has filters running and masks for them to wear when they are outside. 

I'm glad he is so prepared.  If I'm ever in an emergency, I want to be with him. 



He felt really good about their chances until a fish and game officer came to the door and told him that if he was set on staying he should, "cut down the trees on either side of the house."  He's not doing that.  I think he'd rather lose the house then cut down the trees. 



This is a picture of the sun at their home just before I evacuated.  My lungs and eyes are still draining crap.











Photobucket

1 comments:

Libby said...

Are you back home now? I have been thinking about you and your grandparents during all of this!!! Hugs and Kisses!